Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Mama's red beans and rice recipe!


As requested. For you Mel!

I'll never take credit for recipes that aren't mine! --This is Mama's recipe..... when I say that it means she measures like this.....
" A pinch "     "A dash"     "Small hand full"     "Taste it"   " Eye ball it"

You get the point. So I'll do my best to convert from Cajun to English  for you.

Ingredients :
  • 1 bag of light red kidney beans
  • 1/2-1 green bell pepper
  • 1 link of beef (you could use turkey) sausage
  • half of a cap of liquid crab boil --- This is the secret ingredient!!!!!
  • 1 large onion or 2 small onions
  • salt, pepper, garlic powder, red pepper
  • beef broth/water
Directions: 

  • Chop onion(s)
  •  I usually only do half a bell pepper, but it really does add lots of flavor, so use your judgment. I cut them in 4ths so I can just pull them out or push them aside when done. But you could chop them if you don't mind eating them.
  • Chop your sausage links in little circles ( so they look like quarters ) 
  • add every thing in crock pot.
  • cover the beans with your beef broth and or water.
  • Cook on low for 8 hours
  • Serve over rice with cornbread!
This is one of my husbands favorites! We have it about every other week! It usually makes enough for us to eat on the next day, or freeze for a whole other meal. So if you're making a lot for a party or something, then just double everything!

ENJOY!



1 comment: