Thursday, September 1, 2011

Running while pregnant.




I knew that when I got pregnant, I wanted to continue to run. I also knew that I would not continue to run distnaces.... But only times. I want to do 30-45 minutes 3-4 times a week. So that puts me between 3 and 4 mile runs ( since my pace is considerably slower!) And with this, I'm fine.

I feel just as satisfied at the end of a 3 mile run at an 11:15 pace, as I did at the end of an 8 mile hilly run averaging 8:50 a mile. I am just happy to be able to do what I love, even if it's different.

My doctor is on board with me running, and says I'll know when to stop.. I took about 5 weeks off completely from outside running due to morning sickness and heat. So I was barely getting 3 work outs in at the gym, and at home to keep up my cardio. So with in the last 2 weeks, I've been picking it back up here and there. This is my first full consistent week. Of running and feeling good!


I can tell a difference physically in how I feel, and mentally. I had been so cooped up and filled with "cabin fever" from the sick hot summer, that I had become so cluttered! I wasn't able to read, or watch tv, nothing with out being sick. (sucky eyes= pregnancy symptom?) I have been on a steady dose of endorphins this week, and I think it helps my energy level boost even more than it has.

I kept my options open for running. I wasn't SUPER attatched to it, and gave myself an out. I am not out to prove anything, or win any races. I am just not that radical!  Honestly, it's hard to get out of training mode though! So I've been running a lot with no watch or ipod. Now, more than ever I have to stay in tune with my body. I have to be aware of how I feel, and know if/when I'm pushing too hard. I have been taking breaks in between intervals to recover, or for water until my cardio gets built back up-which is taking much less time than I thought it would. I've got so much to think about that it seems effortless to not rely on music or audiobooks. I also have a consistent running partner, and that helps. Although, she's training for a 4 mile race with a goal of 40 minutes. I'm so excited for her! But I have no plans to run that fast. LOL. So at  some point, she will leave me, and I'll be okay with it!

I plan to do a few 5ks until I get too big. But I will probably just start walking for an hour each day once I'm no longer able to run. I'll also pick up more gym time-and certainly the spin classes!

There is hope of fall in site. I know that will keep me motivated more than anything!
I'm also keeping in mind that with swelling and weight gain, that things might not fit like they used to. *ahem* sports bra!  So I've had to retire some of my other gear that I would normally wear, but I've found a few things that I'm able to grow in to. Since I'm not doing distance running, I'm not as concerned with things like "chaffing" and such. I've been able to find some yoga-ish  spandex shorts that are great for running. And shirts are an easy fix!

I'm on the prowl for resources and support for "pregnancy running" SO if anyone has anything to offer, from personal or professional experience, I would love for you to share!

I didn't know if I would be able to do this with a growing belly,and already achy joints. But with some yoga in the mix, I think I can do it a little longer! I DO know that there will be a day when my energy tanks again, at the end of my pregnancy and the beginning of the new baby stage. I'm soaking up as much of the feel good days as possible!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment