Thursday, October 6, 2011

Loving the life of inconvenience.

I learn from other parents.
I learn from the good ones and the bad ones.
If you know a little about me, then you know that I'm a very observant person!  I like to pick what I do and don't like from all different types of parents and apply it to my parenting style.

One thing I know as a parent. It's not easy. And it shouldn't be isn't convenient. I knew from the moment that I found out I was pregnant that my life would change in a great way! I knew that I wouldn't just be adding a child to my world, like an accessory, but that my child would be my world.  This is where many parents and I differ. I want nothing more than to be able to teach my own children the ways of life.

Healthy life style choices like  food, physical activities, and extra curricular activities,balance,consequences,social skills,confidence,independence are far more important than any convenience out there!

It's not easy.

I will tell you what is easy.

  • It's very easy to turn on the TV and plop my 2 year old in front of it while I get dinner made. 
It's not easy letting her sit and help me make dinner. Along with a great big mess! ;-)  But in return she will learn to not only to feed herself and family -later in life- she will learn how to make great choices when doing so. She will know that chopping veggies for 30 minutes is very inconvenient but so very worth it, to have a happy healthy family with full bellies!
  • It's is easy to drive through the drive through every night/morning/afternoon to get something, instead of planning ahead to have a wonderful dinner or snack made that evening. But, I want her to know more than anything, she is worth the inconvenience.   
It's not convenient to work 4 days a week, and have all 3 days off with her home. On top of running my own business, and keeping things a float at home, it's a lot to juggle. I also give up a lot of luxury things like: eating out- a convenience and  Extra vacations.

We love to do these things of course, like anyone else, but I get to spend so much time with my baby, that I don't feel like I need extra vacations to do so. Eating out has become a special treat! We do so, every so often, but I'm so happy that we chose to eat in and enjoy family dinner time. It's time that we can't ever get back! 

  • It is easy to drop her off and hope they teach her all she needs to know. 
It is not easy to read books and play puzzles after a long day on my feet.

It is not easy to let her sit and make a massive mess(that I know I'll have to pick up later!) with paint, play dough, sand, or markers! But the things she is learning, along with the quality time we share is absolutely invaluable!

  • It is easy to tell her " no, don't do that! " just because she will be making, yet another, large mess. This is where she learns her independent play time.

I want to be able to look back and remember all the things we did together. All the crafts that we spent hours making a mess doing. I want to look back at the times we play dress up. The times when we feed her babies dinner.

I don't want to look back and think " We watch all of those movies together" or " Wow, she's great on that video game" ( Not that these things are bad in moderation)

I spend an enormous amount of time cleaning up a mess, preparing dinner after dinner, chasing a 2 year old around, driving to the store for more crafts, or taking a walk around the block to get out of the house to find things that we can do!

I love my life of inconvenience! People have said, " having a kid is hard! And you're going to do it again?"  You bet! I am not looking to have a life of "easy parenting" I am looking to have amazing children, whom I want to spend so much of my time with!! I love seeing her develop and blossom in to a beautiful little girl. I want more than anything to do it again. Is it going to be easy? Heck no. But again, if I'm going to parent, it's the one things I will NOT shortcut on. Ever. I will never look for the easy road- There isn't (or shouldn't) be one.

I'm fortunate enough to only have to work 3-4 days a week - Which means less day care time and I'm more than okay with that! It means less money to spend on frivolous things. It means Less luxury.- None of these things hold value in comparison. It means the world to me! I'm so happy that, even with much sacrifice, I am able to stay home so much with my baby(s) and not just be part of of their world, but their ENTIRE world! I wouldn't have it any other way. I'll have plenty of time to have the finer things of life, materialistically. But if I'm being honest, I already do.  The little things like seeing your baby walk or talk or learn something new for the first time- Those are my finer things in life.

I have what so many people are lacking. Love.

I know that other people's lifestyles and children('s needs). This is what works for ME. I have too soon realized that I will NEVER get this time back. Ever. So what works for us, may not work for others. And visa versa. But I certainly do know that as a society we have learned to raise our children out of  convenience. When in reality, there is nothing convenient about it. I never want my child to feel like an "after thought". Our marriage and our children will always hold top priority over anything else! Even when it's at such a great cost of ourselves.

No comments:

Post a Comment