Thursday, November 18, 2010

Running the Marriage Marathon!



Your in it for the long run. SOme miles are harder than others. You need the support of your friends and family sometimes to get you to the next water stop!

You start off nice and strong, excited, pumped... YOu've been in "training" for some time now... 

This sounds like a marathon right?

Well, it's also a lot like marriage. It's worth it in the end. We all long for it, and to the extent of "need" it... and we prepare for it, make a huge hoopla over it with big weddings... And then it happens. Now what?

I am celebrating my 5 year wedding anniversary tomorrow. I've been thinking a lot about the last 5 years. They started out so exciting, careless, easy- and then reality settles in, and BAHMMMM you all out of energy, and maybe you weren't as prepared as you though you were. Or maybe it's just plain hard! If I'm being completely honest, there were times I didn't know I would be able to make it!

Now with each passing year, and our shares of hardships, I realize that each year will either make you stronger or weaker. The past year has made me so strong. I am enjoying life and marriage so much more now than I had any of the past years. I look forward to doing things as a couple, or as a family. I can't imagine a single day with out my husband. Either of us are perfect, and we have our shares of short comings. But we have been transformed into a new couple with bonds that seem un-breakable now!

Just like when running a marathon ( or in my case a half marathon for now) You get to a certain point when you ask yourself, "am I going to stop" ..." There is the medic,  I can just bow out now, and catch a ride" Or you can say to yourself " If I can just get to the next water stop, I'll get refreshed and keep going"

It's not always easy! It's actually hard work to have a continued relationship. But when you say "I do" that's what you sign up for.......... So stick to it!

Some things we have implemented and will continue to do (and add to) are:

Take one vacation a year alone.
Find one hobby that we can do together.
Try new things together.
Take one marriage seminar a year.
Go to church as a couple/family.
Date night once a week/or biweekly.
Cook one meal a week together- new or old-

These are just some things that we like to do as a couple, that are of our lives. I'm so thankful that we've made it this far. I know that there are so many wonderful years ahead of us! Thank you to all who have helped us along the way! You're support means so much to us. We couldn't have made it with out friends and family.

We're beyond BLESSED!!

Here's to 5 great years, and 55 more!






No comments:

Post a Comment