Thursday, September 23, 2010

just stop.

Every time I get Anisten out of the car, she sees her stroller and wants to go in it. I tell her, " Mommy will take you for a walk later!" Later turns to a few days or even weeks.

I just need to stop.

Sometimes we get so overwhelmed with the cares of the world, that we just go go go go until we crash at night and start all over again at 6am.

Between juggling work, the house, Anisten, marathon training, bills... Sometimes just piles up and clutters my brain! I do get some endorphin mind erasing while running, but sometimes it's not enough. We just need to slow down and take time to think!

I decided that today, I wouldn't let the house or running errands keep me on the go. I wanted to just spend time with my girl, and take time for me. And I'm so glad I did.

We woke up, had some banana pancakes. Played out side for a little bit. Turned on some light/inspiring music, and went on a walk (finally!) We walk to the park and  played for about an hour. I don't know the last time that I just sat outside on the ground for an hour in (mostly) quiet. Afterward we just walked around the neighborhood. I had my music going, and she was singing and clapping. Obviously content.

Came home, took a bath ( wash off all that dirt she played in!) and down for a nap she went.

This leaves me with 2 hours of quiet time. What do I usually do with quiet time? I will catch up on bills, or clean the house. Shower, and get ready for the day------ Not today.

I had inquired about doing some Yoga for the purposes of stretching out some muscles and maybe a little strengthening to help me advance in my running!  I did the Jillian Michaels level 1 work out. Anyone who knows her knows she is INTENSE. She is kind of my hero! -- Anyways I popped in the dvd that I borrowed from a friend and pressed play. After the first 5 minutes, I thought, what am I doing, I'm so not flexible enough to do this! And she says " Ok, now that we're warmed up, let's begin!" ....... do whattttt?
 So, I kept doing it, and after my heart rate settled, and I was focusing on rhythmical breathing, I began to understand why one would like this. So 35 minutes later she says goodbye to me, and I wasn't dying like I thought I would.

She also said something that kind of caught my attention, b/c I think she was really talking to me! -- She says not to not do something b/c you think you can't or b/c it's something you've never done before. I've always had a reserved place for yoga in my mind. Like, " that's for so and so, that's not for me " Well, yoga or not, I want to be better about tearing down those mental blocks of " I can't ". So anyways, I was inspired today. I had 35 minutes of unplugged quite, nothing else going on, time to just think. I recommend it! Whatever it may be for you. A book, a bath, sitting on your porch swing, or something active that will throw in some endorphins ( which are the happy juices in our body created by working out!).. JUST STOP.

So do I have those bills to pay, and those dishes to wash? Will my child be up in a little bit working her tornadic skills in my house? Absolutely! But, I now have a fresh out and renewed outlook and motivation for tackling those!

1 comment:

  1. I want to do Yoga! I haven't really given it a fair chance, but I know so many people who enjoy it, so maybe I would too?

    ReplyDelete